Assistant Director Legal Services
The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) helps people overcome workplace injuries and illnesses and helps business owners make their workplaces safe and healthy. Our people are at the heart of what we do. Bring your enthusiasm and expertise to the WSIB, and we’ll help you achieve your personal and professional goals through meaningful work, development opportunities and a culture of compassion, integrity and teamwork.
We are the WSIB. And we’re here to help.
Support General Counsel, Associate General Counsels and Director, Legal Operations by effectively leading management and staff to deliver a broad range of programs for the Legal Services Division that include adjustment services, elections and assistance to legal professionals practicing various areas of law.
Pursue approved business objectives in accordance with the Division’s and WSIB’s strategic plan by:
- planning, managing and controlling the effective delivery of administrative programs and services for the Legal Services and Adjustment Services Branches to meet the diverse needs of internal and external clients;
- leading an administrative team that has responsibility for providing legal support to Lawyers and Paralegals who practice in various disciplines (civil litigation, bankruptcies, advisory, contracts);
- facilitating continuous individual and collective development of team members;
- identifying new and emerging technology, regulatory or compliance issues/challenges that may be internal and/or external to the programs; supporting the Division’s innovation and continuous improvement efforts through the creation of new solutions; overseeing, planning, implementing and monitoring evolutionary technology and workflow processes that reflect risk management principles and the most efficient and effective delivery of services and use of resources;
- demonstrating a commitment to service excellence, efficiency, enterprise focus and enhanced relationships with stakeholders within a framework that is consistent with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Board Policy, union and legislative parameters and operational performance standards.
Provide overall planning, management and direction for the development, implementation and delivery of programs, products and services within Legal Services Division through teams that administer adjustment services, elections and legal support. This includes:
- recruiting, developing and maintaining teams within legislative and policy requirements; ensuring employees are provided with appropriate performance objectives, technical expertise and development programs
- monitoring and directing the development, enhancement and maintenance of systems, processes and resources in the Division. Keeping abreast of emerging technology to recommend alternative solutions to meet evolving business needs
- collaborating with internal partners such as Risk and Compliance to develop/maintain a compliance framework and to integrate and align compliance initiatives into approaches taken within the Division
- providing ongoing project and change management advice, guidance and coaching
- preparing relevant briefing notes, submissions, responses, and recommendations for review and approval by Director, Legal Operations, Associate General Counsels, General Counsel, President & CEO, and/or Chair
- facilitating a healthy and safe work environment by integrating health and safety principles in the way in which functions are performed
Participate in divisional, cross-divisional and enterprise projects and initiatives related to service/process improvements and technology changes. This includes:
- overseeing departmental progress on innovation and continuous improvement efforts
- leading, participating and/or implementing initiatives surrounding various project streams
- providing subject matter expertise and advice to project group and/or senior management
- participating in Change Management, transition planning and implementation.
Provide technical advice and expertise to General Counsel, Associate General Counsels, Director of Legal Operations, cross-divisional management and staff and external stakeholders with respect to adjustment services, elections and legal support services. On an ongoing basis, identify and monitor emerging trends, issues and legislative changes to determine the potential impact to services, resources or policies and make recommendations on courses of action to Director, Legal Operations.
Collaborate with Senior Management in the development of business plans and goals and objectives that align with the divisional and organizational strategic direction. Create value to the business by acting as a thought partner to challenge traditional assumptions and paradigms so as to implement innovative and efficient ways to successfully process work while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. Represent Legal Services’ management on various committees and working groups within the WSIB and externally. Apply change, risk and resource management principles when needed.
Develop and maintain effective communications linkages and working relationships internally with all business areas, all levels of staff and management and externally with workplace parties as required to identify needs, discuss and resolve issues and exchange information of mutual concern. These relationships will identify ongoing and changing needs and ensure programs, services and work processes are aligned with business requirements to maintain a high level of customer service and support. Handle escalated customer complaints and executive enquiries regarding adjustment services, elections administration and legal support services.
Assist Legal Services Division’s senior management in projecting, monitoring and managing the financial and physical resources required to deliver efficient services in a fiscally responsible manner. This includes initiating and setting goals for programs according to strategic direction of the organization; planning the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones and processes; guiding/developing and forecasting annual operating and capital budgets to support the achievement of objectives; regularly monitoring and reporting on variances based on projections; evaluating overall program expenditures; implementing and delivering strategic procurement and supplier relationship management services to meet the diverse business needs of the WSIB.
1) Education requirements:
- University Level, or equivalent combined experience and education (minimum)
- BA/MBA (preferred)
- Project Management Certification (preferred)
- 5+ years of operational leadership and administration experience in a bargaining unit environment
- Business Process Re-engineering and Quality Management experience (preferred)
As a precondition of employment, the WSIB will require a prospective candidate to undergo a criminal records name check prior to or at any time following hire.
To apply for this position, please submit your application on the WSIB Careers site (https://www.wsib.ca/en/careers) by the closing date noted.
We appreciate the interest of all candidates. Due to the volumes of applications we receive, we are only able to contact candidates that are selected to move forward in the recruitment process. The WSIB is an equal opportunity employer.
The WSIB is an equal opportunity employer and provides accommodation for job applicants in accordance with the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact email@example.com. If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, please provide your accommodation needs at that time. Please be advised that you may be required to provide medical documentation to the WSIB’s Corporate Health Department so that appropriate accommodation can be provided to you throughout the recruitment process.