About VMware Legal:
VMware’s Legal Department is a global team of dedicated legal and compliance professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to both understand and successfully navigate every aspect of VMware’s fast-growing business. The Legal team believes in delivering world class legal services to our clients in a timely, efficient and ethical manner and providing innovative and strategic solutions that actively contribute to the success of VMware.
About Global Legal Services:
Global Legal Services (GLS) comprises two core functions – Shared Services and Legal Operations.
- Shared Services: The mission of the GLS shared services team is to deliver world-class legal services that transform how we contract while proactively driving agile, innovative, and scalable solutions. Together with our legal and business partners, we are committed to supporting VMware’s growth strategy by providing an enhanced customer experience that is simple, creative, and ethical.
- Legal Operations: The Legal Operations team’s mission is to drive scalable innovate to transform how we operate. We build and support the execution of the department strategy, aligned to business priorities; manage budgets, vendors and forecasting; drive efficiency and process reengineering initiatives; implement state-of-the art technology infrastructure to automate processes; leverage data and metrics to demonstrate Legal’s impact and drive strategic decisions; build and promote professional development programs to stretch and grow people’s talents and capabilities; and improve knowledge sharing and communications to increase team connection and influence positive change.
We are searching for a talented, collaborative Senior Director of GLS to report to the VP & Deputy General Counsel, GLS & Chief of Staff. As a forward-thinking, strategic, experienced contracting and operational business leader, you will serve as the global lead for the GLS shared services team. You will have demonstrated management and leadership experience in contract negotiation and support, contract operational best practices, and in delivering shared services to legal stakeholders.
In particular, you will be accountable for delivering and executing on our GLS Roadmap which includes the following core priorities: Support, Transform, Automation, Development, and Change Management. You will help identify new opportunities and set strategy for scaling the GLS shared services support and provide leadership and oversight to large transformational programs across the organization. You will help drive and accelerate our contract automation goals and, in collaboration with cross-functional teams, assess the impact on business and functional teams, propose solutions, and drive standardization efforts to scale. You will oversee implementation of new tools, policies, processes, streamlined infrastructure and client resources to accelerate negotiations and service delivery.
You will work closely with the Legal Operations team and with other Legal groups to build out the shared services function in collaboration with key stakeholders (in particular, the Commercial Legal Group). You will serve as the key GLS shared services team interface with the Legal Leadership team and ensure close collaboration and teamwork with legal stakeholders. Together with your team leads, you will support the development, learning and career opportunities of the GLS shared services team.
- Lead and manage the GLS shared services team, a group of legal professionals comprising contract managers, lawyers and other legal specialists, who deliver dedicated, expert and efficient transactional and other support across all lines of business.
- Own, manage and transform our contracting model through innovative best practices, standardization and process improvements to streamline and scale contract support.
- Leverage data analytics and technology to automate workstreams and measure impact to drive strategic initiatives.
- Develop a strategy and roadmap to deliver increasing value through the team, including onboarding new practice areas and workstreams for the team to support.
- As the Legal Department grows, lead efforts to identify and implement appropriate systems to streamline new or existing practices (e.g., manage design, rollout, training, etc.)
- Partner with our offshore Legal Process Outsourcer (LPO) located in India to assess workstreams handled by the GLS shared services team that may be suitable for transfer to the LPO.
- Create metrics and monitor progress to measure success against plan (e.g., spend analysis, efficiency initiatives, report on KPIs).
- Benchmark internally and externally to stay on top of trends and best practices.
- Develop the capabilities of the team with a commitment to professional development and a continuous learning mindset.
- Strong leadership skills, with a collaborative and inclusive mindset; value diverse perspectives that challenge the status quo and believe an inclusive team is a better team; experienced in bringing people together and driving positive change.
- Experienced in leading a global team with a varied and changing workload; work effectively and efficiently under pressure.
- Excellent contract negotiating, drafting, and influencing skills; expert knowledge of contract structures and types, contract principles, contract tools and systems, and automation functionality.
- Passionate about innovating the legal service delivery model; possess a strong “service” mindset.
- Relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement and committed to transforming the way the team operates.
- Proven success in defining and documenting efficient and scalable solutions; demonstrable success designing and delivering service systems using Agile methods, project management, and metric-oriented success measures.
- Excellent communication skills; practical and enthusiastic problem-solver who is confident and calm under fire and can work independently in a dynamic, fast-changing environment.
- Critical and innovative thinker with excellent business sense and judgment.
- Strong stakeholder management and interpersonal skills; ability to build consensus, create momentum, work cross-functionally with other departments and varying levels of management.
- Advocate of knowledge sharing and open communication amongst the team and with those with whom you interact with daily.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to maintain a large picture perspective.
- Comfortable facing new challenges and changes in direction; flexible in embracing frequent change in all forms.
- Practical people management skills with an ability to guide and mentor the team as required.
- Success in operations/shared services roles in the Cloud/SaaS software and technology environment; experience with Cloud/SaaS transactions.
- Knowledge of process improvement transformation of infrastructure (templates, playbooks, etc.).
- Experience in implementing legal-related technology systems or tools a plus, particularly contract management.
- Knowledge and experience with change management best practices.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- JD or Bachelor’s degree and postgraduate coursework, or applicable experience and professional certification(s).
- Minimum of 18+ years of related experience; previous team management experience.
- In-house legal department and technology-related contracting experience.
- Experience working successfully in cross-cultural, cross functional, high-performance teams.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders.
- Highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- High level of proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint and Word; strong presentation skills.
About VMware, Inc.
Click here to apply.