Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down, powering over 1.7 million stores in more than 175 different countries. It takes a whole team of dedicated legal professionals working behind the scenes to help Shopify create a platform that makes commerce better for everyone. Legal professionals on our team must be able to apply their knowledge and experience to novel scenarios and provide the best possible advice on sometimes unprecedented legal issues, in ways that allow Shopify’s business to stay agile and innovative. Every person on our team is committed to making commerce better for everyone, and it truly shows.
We are searching for a results-oriented Director of Legal Operations to join our fast-growing Legal Department. Reporting directly to VP, Assistant General Counsel, this position will be responsible for the financial, operational, and technical functions of the legal department, including the development and execution of technology and document management strategies, prudent management of internal resources and external counsel, and the strategic development and implementation of key performance metrics. The role will build out a high-performing team in support of the operational functions of the legal department.
What You’ll Do:
- Build: Originate, build and scale a legal operations function supporting a fast moving and innovative legal team.
- Team Operations: Assist department leadership with day-to-day operations, including identification, development and implementation of department policies and procedures, reporting, and dashboarding. Partner with Legal Senior Leadership to manage organizational planning for the departments, including supporting efforts related to training, and performance management.
- Financial Management: Drive the development of monthly and quarterly business metrics, provide operational analysis through reports and dashboards, and implement changes to improve performance. Track accruals and forecasting, work with Finance to identify spending trends, potential cost savings and efficiency opportunities. Drive governance of billing guidelines.
- Vendor Management: Manage and liaise with legal department vendors, including overseeing billing issues and budgeting/accrual process. Assist with budget matters and optimizing workflows within the Legal Department.
- Cross-functional Alignment: Create and drive relationships with other key company functions, such as Talent, IT, Finance and Internal Solutions.
- Technology & process support: Implement, manage and oversee legal technology platforms and initiatives across the Legal Department. Arrange or provide ongoing training on technology platforms. Serve as an advocate to drive user acceptance and use of technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Knowledge Management: Partner with Learning Acceleration to facilitate company-wide training on Legal topics, train the Legal team and the broader organization on legal processes and procedures (e.g. new hire onboarding training, new software or process rollout), and partner with the Knowledge Management team to improve the Legal department’s knowledge strategy.
- Communication: develop, implement and enhance a comprehensive departmental strategic communications plan (e.g., newsletters, announcements, and messages from department leadership)
- A B.A. or B.S.; possibly an MBA or J.D. too
- 8+ years experience in a legal department, law firm, or relevant operational management role
- Tech-savviness, and a proficiency in legal enterprise software, tools, and applications
- Proficiency in legal spend and matter management tools and other legal software tools
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders across a legal department, advising, influencing decisions, managing change, and working to achieve strategic goals required
- Financial interest with an eye for analytics
- A “no task too big, no task too small” mentality. You love achieving big things, working as part of a team, and continuous improvement
- The ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and on an individual basis without a lot of guidance or oversight
- Exceptional business judgement and relationship-building skills
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
If this role sounds like it’s right up your alley, please consider applying! Erin Zipes, Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, is looking forward to reading your cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us (without violating any confidentiality obligations) about an interesting operational challenge you’ve worked on, and how you solved it.
Closing date: Monday, June 21 at 11:59PM EDT. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by Monday, July 5 at 5 pm EDT.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team – so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we’re all here.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. Learn more here.