Orrick currently has an excellent opportunity for a Practice Support Attorney. This position will be based in our Global Operations & Innovation Center (“GOIC”) in Wheeling, WV, or any of our US offices.
Are you a self-starter with a high level of initiative and drive? Would you like to be part of a high performing collaborative team and complete projects that have a significant impact on the delivery of legal services to clients? If so, this may be the position for you!
The M&A and Private Equity (MAPE) group is in the process of redesigning, from the ground up, its workflows and how it delivers legal services to clients. The Practice Support Attorney will support MAPE in those efforts and will contribute to and manage similar projects in other Corporate practice groups as needed.
Coordinate and lead efforts to develop and improve the use of practice content to streamline the delivery of legal services, including:
- Maintaining and automating MAPE’s precedent library, and creating new precedent
- Coordinating the maintenance and organization of deal documents and libraries for MAPE and other corporate practice groups
- Identifying relevant practice content in collaboration with the firm’s Research & Information team, including third-party resources and forms, and integrating them into practice workflows
- Identifying additional areas of opportunity for practice content sharing and creation, and process improvements
Support, coordinate and lead projects to develop and improve client-facing solutions, including:
- Streamlining and improving client/deal intake and scoping
- Designing and improving solutions to share deal metrics and data with client and team
- Capturing and leveraging deal and experience data to improve future transactions
Support, coordinate and lead projects to streamline and improve the delivery of legal services within MAPE and other corporate practice groups, including:
- Supporting the firm’s data strategy, including tracking deal data, monitoring usage of practice content and resources, and capturing experience data
- Leading projects to digitalize the practice, including automation, data capture and use of online resources
- Understanding the firm’s available resources and technology, and developing best practices and other programs to drive teams and tasks to the “right” resources (whether people, process or technology)
- Serving as a one-on-one resource for practice resource questions and issues
Regularly evaluate MAPE’s efficient delivery of legal services through internal data, external benchmarking and monitoring trends in market
Educate MAPE and other corporate practice group attorneys and legal professionals on practice content, client-facing solutions, firm resources, technology, and other initiatives to improve legal services, and lead efforts to improve utilization, as needed
Communicate and consult with administrators, attorneys, paralegals and staff on practice content, efficiency, client solutions, legal service initiatives and projects
Develop and maintain case studies for MAPE and other corporate practice groups for use in marketing and business development, and develop and maintain portal pages and other resources for practice resources
- Juris doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited university or college and admission to practice in good standing in a US jurisdiction required.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience as an M&A attorney in a large law firm.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to present complex ideas to attorneys, managers, clients, and the general public in layman’s terms.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization and/or specific direction exists.
- Familiarity with best practices and technology to manage workflows, documents and communications.
- Understanding of the importance and relevance of knowledge management, practice and project management and efficiency to help the firm meet its overall business plan.
- Excellent analytical, project management, prioritization, and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently with good judgment, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and quickly prioritize projects.
- Ability to work collaboratively at all organizational levels.
- Flexible team player with ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, coupled with a positive outlook; public relations and diplomacy skills must be excellent.
- Availability to travel as necessary.
- Desire and ability to work beyond the position’s written duties and assist on other projects and initiatives, as needed.
Who is Orrick? Orrick is a global law firm focused on serving the technology & innovation, energy & infrastructure and finance sectors. Founded more than 150 years ago in San Francisco, Orrick today has offices in 25+ markets worldwide. Financial Times has selected Orrick as the Most Innovative Law Firm in North America from 2016-2018 and named us runner-up in 2019. The American Lawyer gave the firm its first Legal Innovation Award and in 2019 recognized us for “Best Use of Technology.” For the fifth year in a row, Fortune named Orrick to its 2020 list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For. Learn more about our awesome employee experience here: Fortune 100 Great Place To Work certified company*.
Orrick offers a collaborative work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits, including lots of extra perks like free biometric screenings, paid time to participate in community service activities and the day off for your birthday.
Please visit www.orrick.com for more information about the firm.
How to Apply: If you are searching for a chance to create an impact, you have a little grit and you love working with a team, we want to talk with you. To submit your resume and cover letter for this position, please visit our Staff and Paralegal Opportunities Listings at www.orrick.com/Careers.
No phone calls please.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Consistent with the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
About Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Orrick is a global law firm focused on serving the technology & innovation, energy & infrastructure and finance sectors. Founded more than 150 years ago in San Francisco, Orrick today has offices in 25+ markets worldwide. Financial Times has selected Orrick as the Most Innovative Law Firm in North America from 2016-2018 and named us runner-up in 2019. The American Lawyer gave the firm its first Legal Innovation Award and in 2019 recognized us for “Best Use of Technology.” For the fifth year in a row, Fortune named Orrick to its 2020 list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For.