Are you a data scientist who thrives in professional services environments? Do you love working with smart, dynamic, & collaborative teams? This may the opportunity for you!
Orrick currently has an excellent opportunity for a Data Scientist. This position could be located in any of our US offices.
In your role as a Data Scientist, you will continue to develop tools and processes to help us make informed, data-driven business decisions in areas such as pricing, profitability, spend management, talent management and return on investment. The ideal candidate will be a critical leader in identifying and executing on opportunities to utilize data to improve the firm’s performance.
In this role you will:
- Work collaboratively with the firm’s growing Business Intelligence team, helping to develop enterprise data analytics and business intelligence strategies in collaboration with executive-level operational and functional leaders.
- Interpret the data needs of senior management and design, develop and deploy analytical tools to improve and optimize business decisions and performance.
- Work cross-functionally across a number of different areas of the firm, including Pricing, Marketing, Finance, Human Resources, Sales, as well as across the firm’s global geographical footprint.
- Handle special projects on request under the direction of the CEO, COO and other senior executive staff.
- Lead efforts on data visualization and presentation, including the development of in-house tools and/or evaluation of third party products that best align with the firm’s current analytical reporting structure and future business intelligence projects as well as the more general use of graphical images to convey data within presentations. Participate in the development and implementation of firm-wide data visualization and reporting standards
- Collaborate with various departments to ensure that new data systems are engineered for greater flexibility and reuse and meet a variety of needs.
- Plan, configure and maintain analytical systems to perform macro- and micro-level data analyses and predictive analytics. Responsible for extracting, cleaning, interpreting and analyzing trends and patterns in data. Verify the mathematical accuracy of analytical systems.
- Implement firm-wide data assessment to evaluate data sources and their quality. Catalogue data and data dictionaries and other reference material.
- Develop methods to connect disparate data sources; create new processes to link datasets; and rethink and improve current systems to develop new data connections.
- Automate manual data analysis processes and streamline current data intake and analytics.
- Include open-source datasets (e.g., government or cohort datasets) to provide baseline data comparisons and augment the strength of the insights provided.
- Assist the firm’s Technology and Innovation teams in assessing new tools and technologies that rely on data analytics and machine learning.
- Explore projects that will add value to the firm. Such projects include but are not limited to the following: space utilization, client engagement intelligence, competitive intelligence, recruitment and retention, travel and cost analysis, department and practice growth, client business profitability and trends, and project cost and time forecasting.
- Continue situational awareness of current and forthcoming data science and business intelligence processes, tools, technologies and trends as they relate to technology, data analytics and machine learning in support of the legal services industry.
- Serve as a mentor to other reporting and analytics-focused team members as we continue our transition to a more data-driven organization.
- 2+ years of work experience as a data scientist; corporate or professional services environment, preferred
- Advanced degree or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of statistics and machine learning
- Ability to comprehend and communicate data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to translate results in an understandable format
- Experience assessing data analytics needs and directing the approach and process
- Accurately perform advanced mathematical functions
- Project management experience
- Experience with SQL, R and Python
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Power BI, Excel and PowerPoint
Who is Orrick? Orrick is a global law firm focused on serving the technology & innovation, energy & infrastructure and finance sectors. Founded more than 150 years ago in San Francisco, Orrick today has offices in 25+ markets worldwide. Financial Times has selected Orrick as the Most Innovative Law Firm in North America from 2016-2018 and named us runner-up in 2019. The American Lawyer gave the firm its first Legal Innovation Award and in 2019 recognized us for “Best Use of Technology.” For the fifth year in a row, Fortune named Orrick to its 2020 list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For. Learn more about our awesome employee experience here: Fortune 100 Great Place To Work certified company.
Orrick offers a collaborative work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits, including lots of extra perks like free biometric screenings, paid time to participate in community service activities and the day off for your birthday.
Please visit www.orrick.com for more information about the firm.
How to Apply: If you are searching for a chance to create an impact, you have a little grit and you love working with a team, we want to talk with you. To submit your resume and cover letter for this position, please visit our Staff and Paralegal Opportunities Listings at www.orrick.com/Careers.
No phone calls please.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Consistent with the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring
About Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Orrick is a global law firm focused on serving the technology & innovation, energy & infrastructure and finance sectors. Founded more than 150 years ago in San Francisco, Orrick today has offices in 25+ markets worldwide. Financial Times has selected Orrick as the Most Innovative Law Firm in North America from 2016-2018 and named us runner-up in 2019. The American Lawyer gave the firm its first Legal Innovation Award and in 2019 recognized us for “Best Use of Technology.” For the fifth year in a row, Fortune named Orrick to its 2020 list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For.