The Senior Manager, Legal Operations supports the effective and efficient functioning of the Legal team by managing legal operations and by identifying and implementing opportunities to optimize the operational and organizational aspects of running an excellent in-house legal department at a non-profit organization. The Senior Manager works closely with the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel, as well as internal clients at all levels. The Senior Manager must be able to adapt to changing priorities and business needs and must be proactive in identifying areas of improvement and taking action to address them.
The Senior Manager, Legal Operations reports to the Chief Administrative Officer & General Counsel.
Ensure Legal team processes and systems work seamlessly and efficiently, driving continuous improvement to the operational functioning of the team
Organize and manage the Legal team docket and day-to-day workflow; work with team attorneys to ensure the Legal team’s workflow is aligned to priorities.
Proactively launch and execute plans for operational improvements.
Support implementation of technology tools and solutions (contract management, matter management, e-signature, etc.) to improve Legal team operations.
Provide regular communication (email, verbal, intranet, and other modes) with staff across all teams to support implementation of legal advice and Legal team communication across the organization.
Support development and implementation of Legal trainings using best practices in adult learning.
Develop and maintain strong working relationships and partnerships with other teams to support client needs and eliminate duplicative work.
Create metrics, determining the right data to capture and identifying opportunities to do so, and report on and monitor progress to measure success, spot patterns, and identify hidden opportunities.
Generate templates, forms, tools, and guides to create efficiencies and provide opportunities for self-service.
Coordinate Legal team meetings.
Manage operational projects and activities to drive efficiency and effectiveness of Legal team workstreams
- Develop and execute project plans to drive to on-time, high-quality results.
- Manage relationships with select vendors:
- Regularly evaluate the success of those relationships
- Conduct vendor RFPs as appropriate
- Identify opportunities to increase the use of vendors to expand capacity while maintaining a sustainable budget.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion are considered when selecting vendors.
- Manage information governance and knowledge management for the Legal team:
- Ensure that all Legal team records are stored in secure, organized file systems to support shared knowledge and compliant record-keeping.
- Oversee implementation of document retention and destruction policy and legal hold process.
- Create and implement protocols for sharing legal information.
- Serve as primary point of contact for the Legal team to triage incoming requests.
- Handle other administrative responsibilities for the General Counsel.
- Perform special projects and responsibilities assigned by the General Counsel.
Oversee full lifecycle of contracts process and contract management system (in Salesforce) to meet business objectives and compliance needs
- Provide data and reports
- Generate contracts and other legal documents from templates
- Manage e-signature process
- Support all users in requesting, processing, and securing contracts
- Provide training on contracts and procurement process
- Ensure all contracts and procurement opportunities are properly tracked, executed, and filed in Salesforce.
Manage select Legal team workstreams in an efficient, organized manner, while seeking to continuously improve processes and systems
- Organize IP asset portfolio and oversee third-party licensing requests.
- Manage corporate insurance portfolio, including purchases and renewals and claims information.
- Manage state registrations, including information gathering, reporting, and record-keeping.
- Organize employee policies and procedures.
- Support responses to data requests, subpoenas, or other document requests in relation to litigation, government inquiries, or other areas.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills, Experiences and Competencies
Belief that every student, in every circumstance, can achieve the highest levels of academic excellence, and passionate commitment to New Leaders’ mission and vision.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 5 years of professional experience required, including 3 years of experience as a legal operations professional.
- Equity-driven with demonstrated ability to work well with people from a wide diversity of demographic and cultural characteristics.
- Ability to be proactive, resourceful, responsive, and efficient.
- Strong collaboration skills to interact across all levels of the organization and with external vendors, clients, and government entities; client-service orientation.
- Exceptionally organized and detail oriented; strong skill in proofreading and a high-level of accuracy in work.
- Exceptional project planning and management skills.
- Experience with contract management.
- Experience implementing process redesign and improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to design systems that drive toward compliance.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Ability to demonstrate sound and independent judgment, strategic thinking, and problem-solving.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to interpret legal language and requirements to communicate in an understandable fashion with non-lawyers.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize and reprioritize among same.
- Experience selecting and using legal technology, Salesforce, and general productivity tools (Office suite, Sharepoint, Google suite, Asana or other project planning software, DocuSign or other e-signature software).
- Must be able to travel up to 3 times annually or <5% annually (Travel temporarily limited).
If you are an applicant who resides in Colorado, please email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding total compensation. Please include the following information in your outreach: your name, the city where you live, your email address, and the title of the position about which you are inquiring.
Employees regularly scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week are eligible to participate in the New Leaders Health Benefits and Wellness Program, through which New Leaders offers two robust medical plan options, dental care, vision, and other benefits. New Leaders also offers a 401K plan for eligible employees and generous paid-time-off benefits. Employees may also be eligible for merit awards, bonuses, and/or commissions depending on the role, organizational guidelines, and individual performance.
New Leaders is an equal opportunity employer. New Leaders evaluates applicants for employment on the basis of qualifications, merit and work-related criteria and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, mental or physical disability, handicap, pregnancy, childbirth, medical condition, marital or familial status, family responsibilities, veteran status, personal appearance, political affiliation, matriculation, or any other characteristic protected by law in administration and operation of its Programs and activities, including admission or access thereto, or treatment or employment therein. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of such status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such status.
About New Leaders
Our mission is to ensure high academic achievement for all children, especially students in poverty and students of color, by developing transformational school leaders and advancing the policies and practices that allow great leaders to succeed.
We envision a day when there is educational excellence and equity in America — when our country’s public schools ensure that every student is prepared for success in college, careers, and citizenship.