For more than 100 years, our passionate mission of safety empowers us to protect lives.
MSA Safety is a global leader in the development of safety equipment and pioneering technology that helps protect people and facility infrastructures around the world. We are committed to providing the latest in innovative, best-in-class safety solutions that feature integrated systems capability and allow our customers to return safely to their families and friends. Every day our customers place their lives in our hands. In response, we provide them with protection they can trust. It is gratifying to lead the way as a source of inspiration. Would you like to join our team of more than 5,000 employees world-wide dedicated to this purpose? We hope so.
Innovative, open-minded, and curious. MSA is looking for a dynamic Legal Operations Manager to join its Law Department. While the major responsibility of this role is to manage the department budget, identify expense trends, and marshal data analytics, our Legal Operations Manager acts as strategic advisor on all aspects of legal operations. You will have the opportunity to manage a multi-million-dollar global legal budget, set policy for selecting and managing legal services, negotiate fees, select technology investments, and drive process improvement.
What’s more, we know that a great Legal Operations Manager can enhance every role within in a law department. For that reason, you will find enthusiasm and support for your programs from department leadership and your peers. You will also find enthusiasm and support for investing in your professional development – we look for those who love to learn.
Your growth mindset, can-do attitude, and team-orientation will help you excel. You will have endless opportunities to implement practical solutions to meet the department’s needs and drive business objectives. From process improvement to new technology tools, MSA’s Law Department embraces forward-thinking approaches, and we are looking for you to help us reach new heights!
Description of duties and responsibilities:
Law Department Financial Management
- Manage the department budget, track accruals, identify expense trends
- Forecast legal spend and expenditures, conduct spend analysis, and provide insight identifying areas of higher or lower variances. Work to manage down variances
- Coordinate with internal and external attorneys throughout the year to ensure adequate and active budget management
- Assist with financial supervision of network of outside service providers
- Oversee legal invoice payment processes
- Function as invoicing subject matter expert, including acting as company’s billing coordinator for all outside counsel engagements, globally
- Conduct monthly and quarterly analysis on spend and other trends
Law Department Vendor Management
- Manage vendor program to ensure quality outside counsel support under optimal fee arrangements
- Manage Requests for Proposal and work with attorneys to help review and select counsel
- Negotiate fee arrangements
- Set up engagements to ensure successfully alignment from outset
- Onboard new counsel to company procedures, ensure compliance with company policies for performance of legal work
Align with Finance & Accounting Departments
- Liaise between various law department members, and members of Finance & Accounting on accruals, payment processes, matter budgets, and cash flow forecasting
Legal Data & Technology Strategy
- Oversee Law Department’s Technology strategy, scout legal technology tools, and identify areas for investment
- Implement enhancements and technology platforms to support efficient delivery of legal services
- Design, improve, and manage data processes to support litigation efforts and enable data-driven decision making
- Develop data analytics and encourage law department use of the same
Strategic Vision, Continuous Improvement, & Department Management Support
- Assist legal leadership with management of Law Department, including budgeting, strategic programs, long-range planning, talent development, and technology improvements
- Conceptualize, develop and implement multi-year, high-level strategy for Law Department’s “Legal Operations” efforts
- Deliver sustainable continuous improvement efforts. Develop system to track and monitor progress. Solicit feedback and work collaboratively to provide suggestions for process improvements. Use process mapping and other operations tools to drive efficiencies
- Monitor latest trends in legal operations and related innovation areas to implement improvements department wide
- Share learned knowledge. Create a culture of growth, development, collaboration and accountability. Assist the department with in-house career development initiatives such as cross training opportunities, speakers and continuing legal education, and new technology tools
- Coach and lead law department members to an improved understanding and management of budget at the individual level.
- Coach and lead law department members in the use of legal operations tools and techniques in order to embed legal operations thinking within the department.
- Lead department-wide programs to define, select and monitor continuous improvement efforts.
Special knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Financial acumen
- Data analytics
- Continuous improvement mindset and willingness to ask, “how can we do things better?”
- Enthusiasm for employing business skills in providing legal services (such as budgeting, strategic sourcing, embracing technology, design thinking, project management, and process improvement skillsets)
- Employ a “can do,” client-oriented attitude
- A thirst for learning
- Ability to see the big picture
- Strong influencing, collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and triage projects
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications (Power BI, Flow, Forms, etc.)
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate discipline
This position is available at four different career levels based upon experience:
Level one: 2 years working experience in a financial, legal and/or operational role
Level two: 4 years relevant experience
Level three: 6 years relevant experience
Level four: 8 years relevant experience
MBA may be substituted for up to 2 years of relevant experience
About MSA, The Safety Company
Established in 1914, MSA Safety Incorporated is the global leader in the development, manufacture and supply of safety products that protect people and facility infrastructures. Many MSA products integrate a combination of electronics, mechanical systems and advanced materials to protect users against hazardous or life-threatening situations. The company's comprehensive product line is used by workers around the world in a broad range of markets, including the oil, gas and petrochemical industry, the fire service, the construction industry, mining and the military. MSA’s core products include self-contained breathing apparatus, fixed gas and flame detection systems, portable gas detection instruments, industrial head protection products, fire and rescue helmets, and fall protection devices.