Legal Administration is charged with improving and maintaining the Legal Department’s internal processes, systems, and technology. Our responsibilities include managing third-party legal spend (including spend analytics), record management, knowledge management, legal technology, outside counsel and vendor management, learning and development, and increasing overall operational effectiveness.
We are seeking a talented and motivated Legal Operation Analyst to join our team. This position will collaborate with members of the Legal Administration team on various Legal Administration responsibilities and initiatives. The candidate will also work directly with other members of the Legal Department, Finance, IT, as well as external law firms, legal service providers, and other vendors who advise or support the Legal Department.
The role requires the candidate to work collaboratively across a number of different responsibility areas, such as:
- Reporting, Data Analysis, and Visualization: Support regularly scheduled monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements and develop enhanced reports and analytics in areas of outside counsel and vendor legal spend and matter management; create, update and maintain dashboards; and continually improve reporting.
- Assist the eBilling Administrator with the Administration of the eBilling system TyMetrix 360° (T360), accrual process, audits, and vendor onboarding.
- Law Firm and Legal Vendor Administration: Assist with the law firm and vendor queries regarding invoices and payment issues and assist with the administration of our Company’s preferred law firm program, including maintaining program documentation, enforcing billing guidelines, rate approvals, program evaluations, and periodic program renewal activities with a focus of reducing costs and increasing efficiencies.
- Information Technology: Develop expertise in relevant systems and processes in order to provide day-to-day support, as well as to lead enhancement efforts to existing legal applications such as our document management system (SharePoint), records management system and e-billing tool (T360), etc.
- Learning and Development: Working with Legal subject matter experts to assist with content development, deployment, and delivery of legal training modules to employees across the entire company.
- Operational Excellence: Supports General Counsel’s efforts of continuous improvement through leading special projects, identifying process improvements that realize cost or time savings, and simplifying existing processes.
Education and required experience:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in analytics, metrics, finance, or other similar role required
- BA/BS required, with Finance, Accounting or other business-related degree preferred.
- Practical knowledge of law firm billing practices and common legal matter progression (e.g. course of litigation, basic corporate or financial transactions).
- Previous finance or legal operations experience focused on legal operations, technology, and analytics, including SAP, e-billing, and matter management systems experience, preferred
- Deep understanding of accounting principles and ensuring compliance with legal billing guidelines
- Thorough understanding of product and software development lifecycle processes, procedures, and tools
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel (e.g. pivot tables, charts, formulas), MS Word, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint, and MS SharePoint
Experience with business analytics tools and reporting/dashboarding with a focus in report automation (Tableau, Cognos, BI, Spotfire, Powerbase, etc.) preferred
- Excellent analytical skills and comfort with multiple data sets, with the ability to draw conclusions and make informed recommendations
- Ability to present complex information in an accurate and persuasive manner to all levels of management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including delivering training and developing standard operating processes
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate diligence, attention-to-detail, and follow-through skills
- Innovative ideas and solutions and, capacity to identify and eliminate redundant work efforts and inefficient processes
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Employee Status: Regular
Relocation: No relocation
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1
Requisition ID: R102847
For 130 years, Merck (known as MSD outside of the U.S. and Canada) has been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases in pursuit of our mission to save and improve lives.
We demonstrate our commitment to patients and population health by increasing access to health care through far-reaching policies, programs and partnerships.
Today, we continue to be at the forefront of research to prevent and treat diseases that threaten people and animals – including cancer, infectious diseases, such as HIV and Ebola, and emerging animal diseases.