You’re an original. So are we.
We’re a company of people who like to forge our own path. We invented the blue jean in 1873, and we reinvented khaki pants in 1986. We pioneered labor and environmental guidelines in manufacturing. And we work to build sustainability into everything we do. Our brands stand for freedom and self-expression around the world.
Where we lead, others follow. For more than 160 years, we’ve used the strength of our brands to lead with our values and make an outsized impact on the world. We employ more than 15,000 people globally to support our great brands: Levi’s®, Dockers®, Denizen® and Signature by Levi Strauss & Co.™
We’re looking for someone to guide the continued evolution of the Levi Strauss & Co. Greater Legal Team, which includes Legal, Security& Resilience, and the Levi Strauss Foundation. The Director of Legal Operations and Innovation will oversee the global business operations and ongoing innovation of the department to support our mission and strategies. You will manage the department’s operations by delivering important projects, increasing efficiencies and effectiveness, and deploying key best practices. You will report to the EVP and General Counsel and will work closely with the department leaders. You will sit on the department’s Legal and Security Leadership Team. You will manage two legal operations professionals.
About the Job
- Develop the department’s operational and strategic roadmap, translating department goals and priorities into strategic plans, partnering with members of the department to report progress, and generating agreement from multiple partners where needed
- Partner with the department’s leaders, and the Finance, IT and Procurement departments, to manage the department’s annual financial operating plan, accruals and forecasts
- Manage a comprehensive external legal resource program that includes strategic law firms and other outside counsel, vendors, and managed services to maximize value, evaluate performance, increase efficiency, increase diversity, and improve predictability
- Develop a framework for RFPs and negotiate alternative fee arrangements for projects with predictable scope
- Manage our eBilling platform to enhance its capabilities
- Design and report on department goals and other metrics to inform decision-making, measure departmental performance against strategic plans, and support department leadership in developing operational strategies
- Manage the department’s IT portfolio and strategy, developed together with department leadership
- Guide the evaluation and implementation of technology solutions throughout the department, including data science and artificial intelligence solutions, using change management strategies
- Develop scalable processes, organizational models, and workflows to increase the quality, efficiency, value, and effectiveness of the department’s operations and service delivery, including streamlining legal support processes and migrating to or enhancing use of automated or semi-automated workflows
- Keep an eye on legal technology and trends and recommend relevant department adoption and changes
- Contribute to agenda planning for department leadership meetings
- Lead the Legal Operations team of two
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA or JD preferred.
- At least 5+ years of total work experience in operations or law firm management; 7+ years of relevant experience
- Experience making an impact, leading change and developing strategies
- Experience managing individuals and leading a complex function
- An innovative thinker who will identify opportunities and strategies for increasing value and efficiency across the department
- Project management skills
- In-depth understanding of law firm billing, pricing and compensation practices; demonstrated experience with alternative fee arrangements
- Experience with litigation and transaction matter lifecycles, and legal service delivery
- Technology-know-how; proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications; preferred expertise with LegalTracker ebilling software and Apttus for CLM
We put a lot of thought into our programs to provide you with a benefits package that matters. Whether it is for medical care, taking time off, improving your health or planning for retirement, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a small snapshot:
- 401K match: $1.25 for every $1.00 you contribute up to the first 6% of pay you save.
- Five hours of paid volunteer time per month with nonprofit organizations
- Product discount of 50% off regular-price merchandise
- Paid Family Leave
About Levi Strauss & Co.
Founded In 1853, Levi Strauss opened a wholesale dry goods business in San Francisco that became known as Levi Strauss & Co. Seeing a need for work pants that could hold up under rougher conditions, he and Jacob Davis, a tailor, created the first jean. In 1873, they received a U.S. patent for "waist overalls" with metal rivets at points of strain. The first product line designated by the lot number "501" was created in 1890.
Today we are one of the world's largest brand-name apparel companies and a global leader in jeanswear. We design and market jeans, casual wear and related accessories for men, women, and children under the Levi's®, Dockers®, Signature by Levi Strauss & Co.™ and Denizen® brands.