This role will be the primary face of the company to our community and our customers and will guide our design and data leads to ensure the needs of the customers are understood and addressed. It is a senior role in a young, entrepreneurial legaltech company, so it has the opportunity to make an outsize impact on the industry, diversity, and the company itself.
Our customers and potential customers (i.e., the legal community) are corporate legal departments and large law firms. In corporate legal departments, we work with legal operations, procurement, and associate general counsels. In law firms, we work with leadership in diversity, human resources, innovation, technology, and finance.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Growing Market Awareness: Legal departments are already actively engaged in calculating law firm performance metrics, including diversity information, but it is manual work, and they struggle to get complete data, especially as firms resist sharing personal diversity information of their timekeepers. Law firms spend hundreds of hours calculating 120+ client-specific and survey-specific diversity metrics and are largely unaware of the rest of their clients’ legal ops metrics used to assess their performance. Fortunately, we address these issues in a simple, automated way at no cost to the legal departments and low annual fees for the law firms. We have engaged over 60 firms and 30 departments in discussions so far. This role is to help us carry forward this momentum to ensure the legal community (hundreds of firms and law companies, thousands of legal departments) has a higher and continual level of awareness of the value we provide.
Fortunately, we benefit from a network effect where law firms are referring us to their legal department customers, and these legal departments are reaching out to their outside counsel to get them engaged, and so on. And we have friendly relationships with diversity advocacy bodies, legal ops communities, consultancies, and others already involved in the community.
- Creating Customers: The core value of this role is evolving market awareness into signed-up customers. Doing so entails a sales process but one done by reflecting a shared passion for moving diversity forward, creating more understanding and transparency in business data and metrics, and automating work that is causing many good people hundreds of hours of low-value time. Our founder and our existing community have deep relationships in the market (and this role should also have a network of relationships), so the focus is not on cold calling but continual education, demonstrations, and follow-up with legal leaders. Potential customers have consistently been eager but busy, and each law firm wants many of its leaders to be a part of the decision, so facilitating each firm through the commitment process is key to our growth. This role will need to help each firm turn talk into action.
- Guiding Product and Metric Fit: Because this role is interfacing with the legal community and our customers, it has a responsibility to translate the needs and priorities of these leaders into our product and metrics roadmap. Ideas and requirements are to be conferred via ongoing informal communications with the team and formal user personas, user journeys, and use cases.
- Understanding Metrics of Legal Departments: The role will lead discussions with new legal departments to understand their objectives, priorities, terminology, and targets. And provide them with industry norms and best practices. These discussions are our simple onboarding process for the departments.
- Customer Satisfaction: Legal Metrics’ customer onboarding and data leadership leads facilitate the onboarding of law firms. This Engagement role is to stay involved at a high level during and after onboarding to ensure each customer is a raving fan. This involvement will provide an ongoing feedback loop for product and service improvements. Over time, this role should establish our ongoing protocols for customer satisfaction and feedback.
We are a small company, so each person wears multiple hats. The role will assist and coordinate with others on the team in areas including engaging our partner ecosystem (software, data, consulting, advocacy associations, etc.).
Qualifications of Candidates
Market engagement and reputation
Candidates must have:
- Existing experience in the U.S. legal market, with a network of trusted relationships in legal ops, diversity, or innovation
- A reputation in the market for accomplishing something meaningful, ideally in the data analytics, legal ops, or diversity areas
We are not open to a person who lacks this market experience or resides outside the United States.
Qualified candidates should have experience in:
- Legal operations, from either legal department’s and law firm / law company’s perspective
- Preparing and delivering persuasive presentations to executive leadership with personable style; persuasion via passion for making an impact rather than a sales approach
- Customer service and customer management in a professional services context
- Data analytics principles
- User design and business analysis methodologies
- Documenting requirements and interfacing with product teams
- Beneficial qualifications include:
- Social media, marketing, influencer experience
- Data design and data analytics
- Entrepreneurial leadership or previous role in a small company
- Project management experience in software and data environments
Legal Metrics is a remote workforce company, so all employees and contractors work from home.
Legal Metrics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Due to the sensitive nature of data we collect and analyze, the selected candidate will be expected to undergo a background check. We cannot currently sponsor H1B; we are looking for Green Card / U.S. Citizens only.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. A cover page shows that you are really interested. No agencies, please.
About Legal Metrics
Legal Metrics helps the legal industry calculate and visualize business performance metrics. We’re ramping up on our work to connect hundreds of law firms in the US, Canada, UK, Europe, and Australia with the hundreds of global corporations for which they provide over $750B in legal services. Our industry database is uniquely accurate and real-time, and we worked with over 100 industry leaders to design the software’s functionality. We are now working with our initial customers in a series of pilot deployments.
Our initial focus is on diversity, inclusion, and equity metrics. The impact is more than dollars – we are facilitating diversity programs for companies improving lawyers’ careers underrepresented by gender, sexual orientation, race, disabilities, or veteran status. Our roadmap also includes metrics that calculate value, customer perceptions, and efficiency.