No matter what your job title, the work you do at Kaiser Permanente (Kaiser) supports the health and wellbeing of our members. All 12 million of them. That’s because each of us—from our financial professionals and IT team members to our RNs and physicians on the front line of care—shares a commitment to providing the best possible care experience. With locations across the United States, we offer the opportunity to build a rewarding career in an environment that supports your success. Join us and put your beliefs into practice.
Responsible for managing technology groups. Responsible for people and HR management, including selecting, developing, evaluating, and rewarding personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. Determines resources allocation within managed teams, including scheduling of work. Accountable for the delivery of assigned objectives.
As a member of the Legal Operations team in the National Legal Department for Kaiser Permanente Health Plan and Hospitals, this position leads the department’s Technology Solutions function, plays a critical role in developing and delivering the strategic technology priorities of the National Legal Department and drives strategic legal operations policy, task control, compliance, training, initiatives and change efforts related to technology solutions across seven (7) diverse legal practice.
- Lead the Department’s Technology Solutions function in day-to-day legal department operations related to technical systems and application ownership. Support the department’s seven legal practice groups to deeply understand and communicate regarding complex legal processes. Recommend the best solutions to optimize client service delivery. This includes but is not limited to:
- Management of the Legal Department’s IT budgeting and funding process for technology.
- Identify and implement advanced legal technologies utilizing agile project planning to support legal business systems requirements and specifications with on-time and on-budget results.
- Ownership of maintenance and support requirements for the legal department’s technical systems and programs, including change requests, business testing, compliance and generation of documentation for knowledge management, process mapping, training and auditing.
- Development of process improvement initiatives as they intersect with automation, data management and systems and focused on continuous business improvement and contingency planning.
- Reporting on key operational and substantive metrics for the practice groups that will better inform decision-making, including legal matter and work product analyses.
- Inform the department’s knowledge management strategy and advise on the systematic application of information systems and legal technologies, including legal document management, to define, structure, retain, share and effectively use the legal-specific institutional knowledge of the National Legal Department.
- This position will be involved in managing a “program management-lite” office on behalf of the Legal Operations leadership team, including projects and initiatives for other legal operations functions besides Technology Solutions. PMO-lite engagement will entail governance, prioritization and resourcing of proposed technology and technology-related projects and initiatives, working in collaboration with designated project stakeholders to ensure cross-functional project consistency for Legal Operations as requested, with on-time and on-budget results.
The position is a member of the operations leadership team in the National Legal Department and works closely with the Finance and Practice Group Services function leaders who all report to the VP, Corporate Structure & Administration. The position will interface directly with Practice Group Relationship Managers and the Vice Presidents of seven Practice Groups, including Litigation and PPL (Public & Professional Liability), Health Plan & Payor Operations, Health Care Business Law, Corporate & Commercial Law, Government Programs and Labor & Employment. This position will also act as the primary interface between the National Legal Department and Kaiser Permanente’s IT organization.
- Personnel Management: Manages the efforts of direct reporting, as well as matrix reporting, positions. Responsible for selecting, developing, and deploying personnel in the most effective manner to meet assigned objectives. Responsible for performance management, compensation decisions, and providing on-going, regular developmental feedback.
- Issue Management and Advocacy: Responsible for issue management in assigned functional area. Anticipates issues through regular communication with reporting positions, mitigating risk or escalating issues for resolution by more senior levels as necessary.
- Change Management: Responsible for leading change management efforts related both to specific functional area as well as larger departmental goals or objectives. Identifies and acts upon opportunities to leverage direct reporting team in change management activities; ensures direct reporting team is engaged in change management as appropriate.
- Project Management: Responsible for management of project plans for individual objectives or projects as well as ensuring project timelines and objectives are met for projects managed by reporting positions.
- Strategic Development: Provides information relative to the identification and development of objectives, goals, and strategy relative to individual functional area. May participate in development of same.
- Minimum two (2) years of management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
· Minimum five (5) years of legal technology management experience and eight (8) years of legal business systems requirements definition and analysis, legal technology project planning, legal business user application support and relationship management strongly preferred.
Experience in corporate legal departments strongly preferred.
Juris Doctorate degree, strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of systems or operational environments.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
Other Additional Requirements:
- Strong experience in developing, implementing, and using legal technology solutions (e.g., e-billing, matter management, knowledge management, contract solutions, legal hold, e-signature). TeamConnect experience a strong plus.
- Experience designing integrations with and migrating legacy data strategies into legal management software platforms.
- Strong understanding of legal operations technology trends.
- Demonstrated experience helping to educate attorneys, paralegals, claims examiners and assistants on processes and technology and maintain a virtuous feedback loop.
About Kaiser Permanente
We are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. Founded nearly 80 years ago, our unique business model sets us apart — positioning us to drive improvements across the industry and around the world. k-p.li/aboutKP
As the nation’s leading not-for-profit health plan, we proudly serve 11+ million members from 600+ locations in 8 states and D.C. Together, our 200,000+ employees work as one to positively impact the lives of our members, employees, and communities.
Come drive quality, inspire excellence, and create change for the better. Bring your talents to Kaiser Permanente, and see your visionary ideas make a difference in the lives of others. This is your opportunity to shape the future of health care.