Senior Business Analyst
The Senior Business Analyst participates actively in the development and implementation of best in class Legal department operations. Responsible for identifying requirements, defining and providing metrics for the Legal department at global level, he/she will work closely with Finance and IT (where necessary) and will find innovative ways to help improve Legal processes and provide expert recommendations and insights to Legal leadership, helping drive data-based strategic decisions. The position is full-time based at our Chicago, IL headquarters and reports directly to JLL’s Executive Director, Legal Operations & Strategy.
Business Information & Analytics
- Define relevant data points and metrics for the Legal function
- Drive review of requirements for and creation of a Legal Metrics Dashboard, including for example contract metrics, litigation/outcomes metrics, Legal function scorecard, metrics related to communications and Online Reputation management
- Take an active role in driving the digitization of the Legal and Risk department, leveraging technology / AI for metrics, analytics and improvement of existing processes
- Benchmark department practices (e.g., overall spend, spend on technology, hiring and staffing, outside counsel spend and selection, department quality of service to internal clients, etc.) against industry standards and produce dashboards and reports on the same along with any recommendations to improve efficiency and lower costs.
- Work with relevant stakeholders to increase visibility and control of Legal spend within and outside Legal function
- Collaborate with finance to enable regular views of rolled-up actuals costs and evaluate spend vs budget (Collective Budget approach including Plan, Forecast, Actuals, Accruals, Expense reviews)
- Drive analysis and review of Legal spend; perform monthly analytics on Legal spend by practice area, business unit, and spend outside of Legal department; review and ensure proper allocation of costs to Legal
- Leverage metrics to identify savings opportunities
Support annual budgeting process for the Legal department
- Work with Finance and relevant stakeholders to help better understand insurance spend; help define end to end process for increased visibility & control.
Outside counsel spend
- Define and develop relevant metrics contributing to the development of a consistent process and rigor for selection, onboarding, management of outside counsel
- Support Firm Selection program: classify firms as Preferred/Standard with help of inhouse counsel;
Work with lawyers to assess and select appropriate attorneys and law firms using AdvanceLaw, Persuit, or otherwise
- Establish and manage law firm scorecard / evaluation process for outside counsel performance /costs.
- Implement a regular review globally of firm timekeeper rates and analysis against preferred vendor list
- Assist with firm rate negotiation, matter-specific budgeting, and billing disputes
- Provide data points to support Alternative Fee Arrangements initiatives
- Guide eBilling Coordinator to develop communication plan to law firms for items such as changes to Outside Counsel Guidelines, year-end accruals, year-end close.
Support Law Firm RFP activity.
- Lead or support general Legal Operations projects as assigned (for e.g. supporting the assessment of right work at the right level in the legal function, supporting the design and roll out of Knowledge Management systems and technology for efficiently creating, storing, and sharing written material, developing standards, process and tools including contract templates, shared documents and collaboration tools, supporting Legal Operations Process mapping etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance/Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Social Sciences or related fields
Professional qualifications in Finance or Computer science a plus
- 5 years+’ experience in a related position utilizing data analysis tools and techniques or metrics research in a corporate environment, with exposure to process improvement, operations / methods analysis
- Technology / software support experience
- In-House Legal department or Law Firm experience a plus
Financial background a plus
Attributes, Knowledge & Skills
- Independent – Ability to work independently, but also collaboratively in a team environment
- Data-driven problem-solver – Excellent analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills, including data analysis and meticulous attention to detail
- Positive mindset and change agent – Highly proactive, self-starter who embraces opportunities to improve processes
- Strategic and critical thinking – Ability to conceptualize and articulate practical and creative solutions to meet legal requirements and business needs; inquisitive, challenges status quo, thinks outside the box, exhibits strong levels of insight and intellectual curiosity
- Project Management- Ability to coordinate multiple projects concurrently and managing multiple deadlines and priorities across internal departments.
- Digital savviness and learning agility – Extremely comfortable with technology, able to recognize and act on evolving technology trends impacting the business, quick to learn and master new tools
- Communication skills – Excellent communication skills – both written and spoken. Comfortable working with department leaders and senior management.
- Cultural alignment – Excellent judgment, positive personality and sense of humor, Unwavering personal and professional ethical standards; drives excellence and innately collaborative
JLL is an Equal Opportunity Employer