Our Citi Global Legal Solutions Department, the legal operations function for Citi, is hiring for an experienced Engagement Manager at Vice President level to oversee all legal engagements in North America. The Engagement Manager will report to the Director of Outside Counsel Management within Citi’s Global Legal Solutions (GLS) organization.
Overall, this role will focus on (i) expanding Citi’s competitive tendering / RFP program for outside counsel engagements in the U.S., (ii) leveraging Citi’s relationships with various alternative legal service providers, (iii) managing multi-party compliance with both internal and external legal policies and procedures, and (iv) developing and delivering strategic reporting and other highly-polished correspondence to senior members of Citi’s legal organization, GLS, and members of the external legal community in all regions.
The Engagement Manager will work in close daily collaboration with other GLS teammates at all levels across functions including Finance, Technology, Project Management and Operations while adhering to GLS program goals and priorities, evaluating complex legal and operational issues and impact to Citi businesses and Citi’s broader legal organization.
In addition, the Engagement Manager would work in frequent coordination with non-legal organizations within Citi such as Enterprise Supply Chain (ESC) partners, internal policy teams, productivity leads and others who are also vested in optimizing and innovating the manner in which Citi engages outside counsel.
- Work directly with the Director of Outside Counsel Management to manage and expand the competitive tender / Request for Proposal (RFP) process by identifying high value matters or groups of matters suitable for competitive tender, developing RFP invitation letters (including relevant matter-specific questions), coordinating law firm responses, and assisting in the selection process.
- Proactively explore Citi legal data to identify opportunities to develop potential alternative fee, portfolio and other creative pricing arrangements for use in competitive tenders.
- Administrate, advise on, and train others on Citi’s Global Outside Counsel Terms of Engagement and related policies governing our law firm relationships to ensure they remain current and are aligned with Citi legal, business and compliance requirements in multiple regions.
- Apply independent judgement during review of law firm contracts and terms; escalate and record acceptances and exceptions to Citi’s Outside Counsel Global Terms of Engagement submitted by all regions.
- Coordinate and assist Citi lawyers in the negotiation of engagement letters with law firms.
Plan and coordinate GLS-led external law firm relationship meetings, materials, and data in all regions and geographies.
- Coordinate the creation of presentations and other communications materials for Legal organization executive audiences.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of matter-level optimization methods to Citi’s in house legal teams: staffing mix, budgeting, pricing and matter planning tools.
- Bachelor’s / University Degree is required. Law degree or MBA preferred.
At least 5+ years of relevant experience required, preferably working within (i) a mid-to-large global law firm, with experience in areas including but not limited to pricing, legal analytics, business development, and/or legal process management, (ii) a multinational in house legal operations team, or (iii) a global professional services consulting organization with legal sector coverage.
Practical knowledge of common legal matter progression (e.g., course of litigation, basic procedure, corporate or financial transactions).
- Experience in both traditional and innovative law firm or lawyer fee arrangements or pricing methodologies.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills.
- Experience conducting financial analysis and research.
- Strong ability to analyze and organize data.
- Highly effective project and process management skills. Lean Six Sigma a plus.
- High attention to details, excellent time management and critical thinking skills.
- High social acumen and the ability to collaborate directly, daily and effectively across cultures, geographies, and time zones.
- An ability to lead and influence people across cultures at a senior level using sound judgment, successful execution of strategies, and an understanding of how to operate effectively across diverse businesses.
- Advanced writing and verbal presentation skills required.
- Strong organizational and documentation skills required.
- Exceptional data analysis skills, including advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Exceptional written communication skills, including advanced proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Word.
- Ability to create and publish data visualizations or dashboards in Microsoft PowerBI (or similar tool) a plus.
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
Follow to the link to view the “EEO is the Law” poster, EEO is the Law Supplement, EEO Policy Statement and the Pay Transparency Posting
Effective November 1, 2021, Citi requires that all successful applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
Posted 11 Days Ago
Citi is more than a global financial services company. It’s an engine for progress. Join us, and you’ll have the chance to get involved in progress in all its shapes and forms, right across the world. From the micro to the macro, from Australia to Zambia, the work we do has real positive impact. Wherever you are and whatever you do, progress starts here.
We’ve built a world famous, trusted brand over 200 years of continuously evolving financial services. And today, our influence continues to grow: with financial operations in 160 countries and 100 currencies. We have 200 million different clients, including some of the biggest names in the industries, sectors, businesses and governments that we serve every day. It all adds up to an exciting place to be for talented, ambitious people who want to build a truly remarkable career.