***Please apply to our Career Site at: https://beigene.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/BeiGene/job/Cambridge/Senior-Manager–Legal-Operations_R3593***
BeiGene continues to grow at a rapid pace with challenging and exciting opportunities for experienced professionals. When considering candidates, we look for scientific and business professionals who are highly motivated, collaborative, and most importantly, share our passionate interest in fighting cancer.
The Senior Manager, Legal Operations will be a key member of the Legal Operations team responsible for supporting departmental initiatives related to eBilling / Matter Management, Information Governance, Litigation and eDiscovery, Knowledge Management and other Legal Operations responsibilities. Under the supervision of the Senior Director, Legal Operations, this position will work cross-functionally with business partners to develop and maintain new processes, systems and metrics that will help BeiGene more effectively manage costs and improve capabilities of the Legal and Compliance team and the Company.
eBilling / Matter Management
- Acts as primary administrator for the eBilling / Matter Management system, including onboarding new law firms and service providers, opening and closing matters, handling billing issues, and analyzing and enforcing compliance with the Outside Counsel Billing Guidelines;
- Manages purchase orders and monthly, quarterly and annual budgeting and accrual processes, coordinating with accounts payable, Finance and Legal and Compliance team members;
- Tracks all law firm and other Legal and Compliance vendor special billing arrangements;
- Maintains a contact and responsibility list of all outside law firms and serves as the key point-of-contact for Legal and Compliance team members when seeking to engage outside counsel for new matters;
- Provides regular reporting / metrics on spend management and implements changes to improve performance as directed; and
- Supports development of new features / capabilities and related change management.
- Assists with implementing and managing the Company’s records management program and serving as a program administrator;
- Supports Legal and Compliance team members to train business teams on relevant policies, processes and systems regarding contracting operations and records management; and
- Provides guidance to business teams regarding appropriate maintenance and periodic disposal of business records.
Corporate Governance and Recordkeeping
- Oversees technology tools and vendor relationships and billing for corporate governance tools, including Board portal, corporate and subsidiary management and recordkeeping, and intra-company agreements; and
- Works with paralegals, administrative assistants and Legal and Compliance team members to ensure that corporate records are secured, maintained, and updated in a timely manner.
Litigation and eDiscovery
- Collaborates with Legal, outside counsel, IT and other key stakeholders to support legal hold processes and to ensure documents / data are properly maintained to meet preservation obligations;
- Manages legal holds and releases;
- Assists in-house and outside counsel with discovery requests; and
- Supports development of eDiscovery best practices and capabilities.
- Maintains and promotes resources / subscriptions for the Legal and Compliance team and tracks usage;
- Maintains Legal and Compliance department’s database of presentations and training materials;
- Assists with development of Knowledge Management tools and resources to support development of Legal and Compliance team members;
- Assists with updating and management of content on the Legal and Compliance department’s intranet site;
- Trains new Legal and Compliance team members on department tools, resources and operations; and
- Supports other Legal and Compliance projects as required.
Legal and Compliance Team Support and Management
- Supports the Senior Director, Legal Operations with Legal and Compliance team budgeting and tracking;
- Assists with Legal and Compliance department operations, including vendor management, key performance metrics, meetings and presentations;
- Supports individual Legal and Compliance team members as requested in an effort to increase efficiency and effectiveness;
- Supports project management on key initiatives for the Legal and Compliance department, including contract management, document management, knowledge management and other areas as needed; and
- Keeps current on latest legal operations industry trends and developments, and identifies opportunities to implement best practices.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree; strong preference for paralegal certification.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft suite of tools including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel; as well as project management applications such as Microsoft
- Project and Visio.
- 5+ years supporting an in-house legal department; experience in the pharmaceutical industry a plus.
- Notary Public or willingness to become one.
- Experience with eBilling / Mattter Management software.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills.
- Great attention to detail.
- Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information using excellent discretion and judgment.
- Self-motivation and ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to accept new responsibilities in a fast-paced, multi-project environment.
Travel: Up to 10%
Bachelor of Arts / Science required. Paralegal certification a plus.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically in accordance with BeiGene’s Code of Conduct, policies and procedures.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and within budget.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. BeiGene does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.