Looking to leverage your project management and legal expertise in a professional services environment? Want to help manage and grow a thriving practice area? Want to join a top workplace with an amazing culture? This opportunity could be perfect for you!
Bates White is a boutique consulting firm based in Washington, DC. Recognized as a top workplace, the firm provides advanced economic, financial, and econometric analysis to law firms, companies, and government agencies.
Through our supportive, collaborative, and collegial culture we invest in our talent and provide opportunities for career advancement. We are proud to have been consistently ranked among the top firms in the Vault Guide to the Top 50 Consulting Firms and named as a Top Workplace by The Washington Post for the past five years.
If you are looking for a place to do high-quality work and have fun along the way, read below to discover how you can be part of our team.
What you’ll do
In this role, you will be responsible for developing, managing, and executing strategic and tactical initiatives to help manage the Environmental and Product Liability (EPL) Practice. Primary areas of responsibility include overseeing day-to-day EPL Practice operations, financial performance, staff development, and business development fostering practice productivity while implementing operational and strategic objectives.
- Lead EPL Practice management meetings by planning with the EPL Practice Chair, drafting agendas, facilitating discussions, marshalling appropriate firm resources, and following up as necessary. Leverage administrative support staff as appropriate.
- Track and assist with managing new matters, current workload, and staffing assignments within the Practice. Develop engagement tracking tools and track major client deliverables as well as key practice events. Keep the EPL Practice management team informed by linking relevant client matters, practice initiatives and firm priorities.
- Coordinate with the EPL Practice Chair and Human Resources to ensure new hires, including summer consultants, are on boarded and integrated appropriately to the EPL practice. In conjunction with Human Resources, coordinate professional development and skills training. Monitor new matters, utilization, and current/anticipated workload to assist the EPL Practice Chair with staffing needs and assignments.
- Serve as a liaison between the EPL Practice and Accounting & Finance to assist with reporting, revenue analysis, and practice expenses. Make recommendations for appropriate actions to improve the practice’s financial performance.
- Augment the new matter process. Identify information gaps and, working with Accounting & Finance and Legal, resolve them. Coordinate with EPL project supervisors, Accounting & Finance, and Legal as needed to establish client support relationships and client billing contacts at the origination of matters. Work with EPL project supervisors to ensure new EPL matters conform to firm billing guidelines.
- Proactively review and report on accounts receivable, unbilled time, invoices, and collections. Internally coordinate with EPL Practice management as well as Accounting & Finance and Legal. Spearhead client outreach as needed to ensure issues are appropriately and timely addressed.
- Work with Practice Chairs and Human Resources to address personnel issues as needed.
- Track relevant industry conferences, speaking opportunities, and monitor industry trends.
What you’ll bring to the table
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a directly-related position, preferably in a professional services or law firm environment. Demonstrated track record of managing day-to-day operations for a line of business.
- Experience in the insurance or bankruptcy industries is a plus.
- Must be very flexible to changing circumstances and effectively work under pressure in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strong business acumen, situational sensitivity, and emotional intelligence.
- Problem solving skills.
- Finely-tuned diplomatic people management skills.
- Must possess excellent writing, editorial, and oral communication skills.
- Must be a detail and results-oriented project manager with excellent interpersonal and organization skills and be highly motivated, with strong commitment to quality service.
- Requires excellent time-management and multi-tasking skills and the ability to excel in a team-oriented, collaborative, and fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
What you can expect from us
- Competitive compensation and benefits including flexible work schedules, tuition reimbursement up to $50,000, low healthcare premiums, and much more!
- Open culture where your voice is heard, your input is sought, and your contributions are rewarded.
- Fun and engaging culture including frequent social events.
- Amenities including standing desks, fitness center, rooftop terrace, espresso, fresh fruit, pool table, and table tennis.
- Employee-driven community outreach featuring fundraising events (e.g., trivia, game shows, cooking competitions, etc.), volunteer opportunities, and matching funds.
- Investment in your career through training programs, assigned mentor and peer coach, and frequent feedback.
- Networking opportunities through employee interest groups, Women’s Network, International Network, and Diversity-Inclusion Council.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit a resume and cover letter via our website at www.bateswhite.com.
Bates White is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at (202) 408-6110 or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.