The Legal team at Argonne National Laboratory is seeking a Legal Operations Manager to join their team. The Legal Department provides world-class legal services to support world-class science and the missions of the Laboratory.
This role is responsible for managing the Department`s operations, including Human Resources, finance, budget, procurement, Discovery, legal hold and matter and document management and billing systems, internal controls, and DOE performance requirements in accordance with parameters and goals established by the General Counsel. The Legal Operations Manager acts as the Legal Department liaison to OTD, DOE Office of the Chief Counsel, and OCF for Legal administrative matters and the point-of-contact for other outside entities, including governmental agencies, business associates, outside law firms, courts, taxing authorities, insurance companies, etc. They will also provide supervision to direct reports including work delegation and performance appraisals and act as project manager for department projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in managing support staff and legal department workflow.
- Oral and written communications skills and the ability to work with internal and external contacts within varied levels of staff, management, and executive management levels to achieve the desired goals in support of the Legal Department.
- Project management skill and experience.
- Knowledge of Argonne`s organizational structure, policies, procedures, and administrative systems.
- Knowledge, skills and experience with legal records and matter management software systems and with administrative procedures and practices at the division level including: Human Resources, finance, budgeting, purchasing, and with other ANL organizations both within the operations and programmatic areas with which the Legal Department interacts.
- Analytical abilities and skill in: reading and understanding legal documents including statutes and regulations, research methodologies, state and federal databases, and in organizing large bodies of information into articulate, cohesive written opinions and reports.
- Knowledge of Microsoft software, including Microsoft databases and legal business, case, and document management systems.
- Knowledge of 10 CFR 719 and DOE legal management plan requirements and the relationship between DOE and Argonne management.
- Knowledge of reimbursable/non-reimbursable costs under the Prime Contract.
- Good knowledge of procurement software and policies.
- BA or BS required. JD or professional certification like the Certified Legal Manager (CLM) designation would be a plus.
- Ability to act in professional manner and maintain standards of ethics and confidentiality with highly sensitive, proprietary, and privileged information.
- Ability to take initiative and is willing to act independently with little guidance.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an HSPD-12 badge.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
About Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists and engineers work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment. Ever since we were born out of the University of Chicago’s work on the Manhattan Project in the 1940s, our goal has been to make an impact — from the atomic to the human to the global scale.