This position will report to the Deputy General Counsel, with significant collaboration with the General Counsel and the broader Legal Leadership Team. At Alight, we are on a mission to bring clarity and confidence to employees and employers across the full spectrum of HR.
The Legal Department Operations Manager is a proactive, forward-thinking agent of change who is excited about developing and implementing scalable processes, organizational models and workflows to increase the quality, efficiency, value and effectiveness of the legal department’s operations and service delivery.
· Design, implement, manage, and update IT tools and support systems, including an updated Legal Department Matter Management System for internal Legal Department knowledge management and other tools used for secure legal information sharing with outside legal services providers or internal clients.
· Leverage industry best practices to drive performance across our global team.
· Identify and execute critical business change management initiatives and high priority strategic and process improvement projects across our global legal team with a focus on a standardizing, simplifying, and streamlining processes
· Conduct training for new legal department hires on departmental processes and technologies. Provide ongoing training and support on processes and technologies for all legal department resources, as needed.
· Support, organize and establish archives for the Legal Department’s educational outreach and training initiatives, including presentations for internal business teams or other meetings and webinars on key legal developments/trends.
Department Management and Effectiveness:
· Work with General Counsel to develop and track metrics to measure and communicate departmental goals and progress.
· Market Legal within company to increase awareness of group’s role and responsibilities and to promote inter-departmental partnering.
· Spearhead efforts to gain positive visibility for the Legal Department within the broader legal community.
· Create, implement and drive capacity measurements across the team to support team structure and manage resources against business needs.
· Coordinate with internal finance team to support management of total legal spending including budgeting, forecasting, budget-to-actual variance management and all third-party expenditures (including the monitoring and enforcement of vendor compliance with the department’s Billing Guidelines).
· Prepare legal spend dashboards to highlight current and historical legal spend by category, key drivers, trends and cost savings/avoidance successes.
· Monitor, analyze and regularly report on total Legal Department costs and trends, including personnel costs and travel, meeting, professional registration/CLE and other expenses.
Outside Counsel/Vendor Management:
· Manage outside counsel retention and management, billing, budget management, and payment cycles, working directly with supervising internal lawyers, outside counsel and finance.
· In collaboration with the General Counsel and Legal Leadership Team, refine/update standardized law firm billing, staffing and performance guidelines, drive law firm acknowledgement and implementation across all legal services providers and enable automated rejection of non-compliant invoices or line items.
· Increase focus on inclusion and diversity with external partners through engagement of women- and minority-owned law firms, working with our outside counsel to increase the number of diverse attorneys who are working on our legal matters, and continuous innovation on diversity initiatives and programs within the legal department.
· Work with the Legal Leadership Team to identify top opportunities that would benefit from further efficiencies in or convergence of outside legal services providers and oversee future RFPs to address such opportunities and drive continuing cost savings.
Technology & Administration:
· Management of Legal Department technology and administration solutions, process and workflows for matter management, electronic billing, contract management, internal communications and related activities.
· Design and implement common information queries and standardized report templates and report generation to extract desired e-billing system information and present it for use various dashboards and other periodic financial reports.
· Direct and oversee any review and maintenance of historical system data, and work with IT or system provider teams to manage data and system configurations.
· Act as a liaison and coordinating resource for the Legal Department’s litigation hold and e-discovery tools and protocols, across all potential information/data electronic repositories and physical storage locations.
· Serves as point of contact for legal department software solutions.
· A bachelor’s degree or higher
· At least 3-5 years legal operations experience in an in-house legal department or law firm
· Experience developing and managing legal technology solutions, including document or matter management systems required
· A high level of comfort working with technology and a keen enthusiasm for learning new systems
· Superior analytical, logic, problem-solving, and project management skills and sound business judgment
· Excellent communication skills, and comfort communicating with employees at all levels of the organization. Proven ability to drive change is required!
· An entrepreneurial mindset and a passion for innovation and driving results
Please apply directly through our career portal.
Job ID: R-9428